David Tennant has just completed his first panel appearance at San Diego Comic Con as part of the cast of the upcoming Sledgehammer Games release Call Of Duty: WWII. David plays one of the protagonists in the Nazi Zombies game mode, which was unveiled during a hotly anticipated panel which began at 11.45am PST.
David was joined on the panel, hosted by Greg Miller, by fellow cast members Elodie Yung, Katheryn Winnick and Udo Kier, plus the game developers Michael Condrey, Jon Horsley and Cameron Dayton. The panel opened with the Nazi Zombies trailer which you can see here – be warned, it’s not for the fainthearted.
What we learned about Call Of Duty WWII: Nazi Zombies from the panel:
- The zombie game mode takes place in a separate universe to the main game; the two worlds do not intersect
- The game has a storyline: essentially it’s Monument Men…with zombies! The makers say it’s “…Men and women risking their lives to save works of art”
- This game mode is a story based on characters. The core story is about Maria and Klaus
- The heroes are led by Jefferson Potts, played by Ving Rhames, who sent a special message to the panel. Potts is described as strong, assured and academic military man.
- David’s character, Drostan Hynd, is an antiquities expert and former art thief given the choice to come out of prison on the understanding that he’ll work for the good guys. “He has a tartan cap. Because I’m Scottish,” David says, “He swears a lot, an awful lot! It’s full of bad language, this game, I’m terribly shocked!” Cameron Dayton pointed out that most of the swearing came ‘so naturally from David’ during the session. David argued that he was invited to bring an authentic Scottish feel, so brought some of his experience of growing up in Paisley and did “…a little bit of improvisational cursing”.
- Elodie Yung plays Olivia Durant, a member of the French Resistance, a former art historian of the Musée du Louvre, and weapons expert.
- Katheryn Winnick plays Marie Fischer, a brilliant engineer and tactician who is attempting to salvage stolen treasures and rescue her brother, Klaus. Their father was a toymaker, building lots of toys and traps. Marie later became a spy for the USA. “She’s not only a very brilliant engineer, but she kicks ass,” Katheryn says. “There was a political divide in a family,” explains Dayton. “Marie ended up taking off and joining the other side.”
- Through their research, Klaus & Marie Fischer uncover a shocking and sinister operation unlike anything the world has seen. The maniacal Doktor Peter Straub, played by Udo Kier, has been determined to make the Nazis an unbeatable force. “A doctor builds a new kind of soldier, created the devil himself,” the developers say.
- The game is described as “the hardest Easter egg hunt you’ve ever been on.”
- On weapons: there is a Mystery Box and Wonder Weapons
- New additions include perks and a special reward system
You can watch a stream of the panel here
Photo credits: Sledgehammer Games, Michael Condrey & Greg Miller